Helios Hospital Schwelm
Helios Hospital Schwelm is an acute secondary care hospital in the southern Ennepe-Ruhr District with 401 beds. Under its roof, it unites the Departments of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Geriatric Medicine including an Outpatient Geriatric Department, Internal Medicine, Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Urology and Pediatric Urology, the Centre for Trauma Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery and Spine Surgery with its three pillars, the Department of Trauma Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery, the Department of Orthopedics and the Spine Centre Schwelm as well as an external physician Department of Otorhinolaryngology. The Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine and Pain Therapy as well as the Institute for Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology and the Institute for Laboratory Medicine and Microbiology complement the range of medical services, in addition to the interdisciplinary Bowel Centre, Diabetic Foot Centre, Pelvic Floor Centre, Centre for Geriatric Traumatology, a Catheter Laboratory providing care round the clock and a special Stroke Unit. The medical departments, institutes, functional departments and outpatient departments work hand in hand with each other.
In line with the motto «Every moment is medicine», a highly qualified team of physicians and a competent, committed and caring team of nurses find the best possible treatment for any condition. Teamwork is considered very important at Helios Hospital Schwelm, in addition to continuous and active exchange of experience. The high level of motivation and efficiency of the medical teams is comprehensively supported by state-of-the-art equipment. Should you need additional information or have any questions, feel free to contact us.
Patient care by a large team of skilled and dedicated physicians, nursing staff and therapists of various professions is supported by cutting-edge equipment and the latest generation of medical diagnostic and therapeutic devices.
The range of medical services offered by Helios Hospital Schwelm comprises the following medical disciplines:
Helios Hospital Schwelm provides the following medical departments
- Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine
- Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology
- General, visceral and vascular surgery
- Geriatric Medicine
- Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- Internal medicine (cardiology/gastroenterology/neurology/pneumology)
- Paediatric Medicine
- Trauma surgery, orthopaedic surgery, spine surgery
When staying with Helios we want you to feel home away from home.
For international patients we therefore offer and provide a variety of amenities and technical as well as culinary extras to create an environment in which you can recuperate quickly.
During your stay our service manager an his/her team will take care of your question and needs and makes sure that your stay will be as pleasant as possible.
Our comfortable single and double rooms are equipped with a spacious bathroom, a DVD and CD player, international TV programmes, a selection of newspapers and a minibar. In addition, we attach great importance to providing our patients with personal support by our service managers.
For our international patients we have built a network of partners which are at your service before, during and after your stay.
Upon your arrival we provide you with a transportation service to the hospital. If you require transportation services please contact us prior to your arrival.
Helios Hospital Schwelm has excellent links to the surrounding cities of Wuppertal, Düsseldorf, Cologne and the entire Ruhr via the motorways A1, A43 and A46. In addition, the hospital is easy to access via the B7 due to a direct link to the A1.
Moreover, the lines 608 and 556 (via Schwelm Station) stop on the hospital premises, connecting Helios Hospital Schwelm to the local public transportation network.
- Schwelm Station
- Wuppertal Main Station
- Hagen Main Station
- Düsseldorf Airport; Flughafenstraße 120, 40474 Düsseldorf (59 km away)
- Dortmund Airport; Flughafenring 2, 44319 Dortmund (50 km away)
- Cologne-Bonn Airport, Kennedystraße, 51147 Cologne (65 km away)
The town of Schwelm
Situated on the outskirts of the Ruhr, Schwelm is also known as the «gate to Westphalia». The town in North Rhine-Westphalia offers its 30,000 inhabitants a great variety of cultural and sports events and impresses with an attractive landscape. The southwest boundary of the town adjoins the city of Wuppertal; Sprockhövel, Gevelsberg and Ennepetal are situated to the north and east. The first settlements in Schwelm were established as early as around 900 AD. About 500 years after the first people had settled here, the place received its town charter in 1496, although back then it comprised only about 50 houses.
Just like many towns in the region, Schwelm used to be a mining town. Pyrite used to be mined here for iron vitriol and alum to be used in fabric dyes, and later on hard coal. Today, most inhabitants of the town work in the heath care or the administrative sector.
- The Local Heritage Museum of Schwelm has exhibits on display that showcase the history of the town and the region from the Stone Age to today. The museum is accommodated in the «Martfeld House», a former manor house near the hospital, where also various cultural events are held, such as concerts, readings and an arts and crafts market, among others.
- The town centre features some beautiful, historical listed buildings, providing a culturally rich platform for events. These include the «Rietz'sche Haus», which used to be an administrative building of the former brewery of Schwelm, the residential and commercial buildings in the old part of the town and the Christ Church, the second largest church in Westphalia.
- The Hometown Festival, a five-day festival, takes place every year in September. The highlight of the event is the Sunday parade, where music groups and floats drive across the town.
- Indoor swimming pool
- Outdoor swimming pool
- Various events, such as old town festival, international folklore festival, farmer's market and flea market
- To the south and southeast of Schwelm, there are several nature reserves, such as the Land of Berg with well-signposted hiking trails and cycle paths.
- Wuppertal, which is located eleven kilometres to the southwest, is worth a visit not only because of the suspension railway. There are also interesting museums, such as the Van-der-Heydt Museum, and the Wuppertal Zoo with the well-known lion and tiger enclosures.
- Cologne with its more-than-400-year-old cathedral is located about 60 km to the southwest.
We speak english, russian, arabic and french
Doctors at Helios
Acute care medicine
Helios is one of the largest providers of inpatient and outpatient care in Europe, offering high-quality medicine across the full range of care services. Helios is Europe's leading private hospita...Read more
The Helios rehabilitation hospitals aim to restore skills or bodily functions impaired by acute illness as well as to heal or at least relieve chronic conditions and pain wherever poss...Read more
The Helios Prevention Center (HPC) offers customised prevention programmes as well as check-ups and health coaching at several locations in Germany.Read more